Tuesday 18 November 2008

Patchwork # 3

The 3rd book that caught my eye was this one, Japanese Quilt Art III (THREE!!!) By Setsuko Segawa. Although (like the others) the publication is pretty dated, I like the layout & size & style of the book... which is odd. The first double page spread has the really nice photo of who i'm assuming Setsuko Segawa. I like the composition and graininess of the image and i'm sure it was not intended to be such a large factor of why someone might be attracted to the publication as there is nothing else like it in the book.

3ab

3bb

Untitled-3

I really like the first of the images below. I find it quite humourous and i'm really drawn in by it's childlike qualities. I'ts a really unusal and interesting image to base a quilt on. It's almost like the quilter was having a bit of a mess around with sewing lines on the machine when they came up with it. It really works though!... weirdly!

<3fb

3ib

3lb

The top two images are more reminiscent of the styles that spring to mind when I frst thought of Japanese designs in quilting. They're very elegant and involve traditional imagery and colours. They're beautiful and the age of them kind of makes them tacky at the same time. I say tacky because of the bits of shiny fabric that was probably really beautiful in the 80's but now is all a bit dated a twee. I can't help thinking of someone down the market shouting, "TWO PAAAAND(£2) FOR A METER'...TWO PAAAAND A METER!" I really like that about it though as it appeals to my junk collecting/hoarder side.

No comments: